For bikers selecting the best motorcycle GPS can be somewhat of a challenge, due to the limitations of placement, as opposed to a traditional dashboard in a car. We review GPS systems that are specifically designed for motorcycles but still offer the convenience you are used to from your vehicle nav.
Take a look at our motorcycle GPS comparison chart to see all the technical details, prices and ratings.
Best Motorcycle GPS Comparison Chart
Factors to Consider When Looking for the Right GPS:
When selecting the top motorcycle GPS, there are certain features and important factors to keep in mind, to ensure you make the right choice.
Some factors you should weigh when deciding on the best motorcycle GPS include:
- The mounting feature/design.
- Bluetooth and other wireless connectivity features, so you can connect anywhere, regardless of your location.
- Connection points, and how easy it is for you to get a signal from your GPS system.
- The features, including traffic alerts, voice settings, language settings, police receiver system, audible assistance, anti-glare screens, etc.
- The screen size and your battery life.
- Receiver signal, map destinations (US only or other country settings possible); and,
- The price you pay, for the quality of the top rated motorcycle GPS systems, and the top name brand product lines that are available to you today.
Top Rated Bike GPS on the Market:
These are among the top 5 options available to bikers today. Depending on the brand you like, features, and the settings you like best, these are the best motorcycle GPS systems available to you today.
The Zumo series features some motorcycle GPS products you can purchase today; depending on the model you choose, and the price, you will find different features with different models. With some of the latest models you will have features like:
- 3D buildings on maps, for ease of navigation.
- Voice assisted street name and navigation direction information.
- A high resolution, large screen size touch screen display for ease of use.
- Waterproof, UV proof, and dust proof making it easy to use on any road conditions on your bike.
- Bluetooth and hands-free connections for use with cell phones, and compatible headphones.
You can read more about motorcyce protection here.
The Zumo series includes North America maps in the database and provides you with approximately 3.5 hours of battery life on a full charge. Lane assist features are also included, and with certain models, you can choose XM radio satellite subscription services as well. The preloaded maps provide over 6 million points of reference (US, Puerto Rico, and Canada), and you receive free lifetime updates with the maps in these areas.
Points include restaurants, popular destinations, hotels, restaurants, gas stations, and other essential reference stops on any journey. The Zumo series GPS models are a little pricier, but you do receive some features and a device that will get you going right out of the box.
The Montana series also provides some great features for those looking for the top rated motorcycle GPS. It is extremely lightweight and easy to mount on to your bike and features a large, bold, and bright touch screen for ease of navigability. With multiple touch points, you can choose from several view options including bird’s eye view, and street view settings. Enhanced color display makes it easy to see in any lighting, and the GPS is waterproof and glare-proof, meaning any road or weather conditions won’t interfere with the image quality.
Some additional features of the Montana 650t include:
- 5 MP camera (geotagged so that you can find the location on the GPS immediately).
- A 3 axis tilt compass, turn by turn road routing.
- Compatible with custom maps, highly sensitive GPS will find your location immediately, so you can input the direction or destination you want to reach quickly. Preloaded with PO 100K maps.
- Barometric pressure gauge, so you can keep an eye on the weather in your area.
- And several other easy to use, built in features, for the outdoor enthusiast, will be found on the Montana series GPS systems by Garmin.
The Nuvi series is not only one of the top motorcycle GPS systems, but it is also popular for other GPS systems that have been developed in the series. A widescreen, ultra slim touch screen make it easy to view, and new slide control features make it easier to use when you are on the go.
The latest models are preloaded with City navigator for North America, and many of the models also include maps for Europe. This includes busy destinations and will let you know where public transport systems are, so you can navigate through the streets comfortably, and avoid traffic influx on the road. With Bluetooth technologies, you can connect your cell phone with the compatible headsets available today.
With many Nuvi series models you also receive ecoRoute maps, so you can find the fuel efficient route, to save you money on fuel costs. You can also subscribe to receive traffic alerts, and avoid congestion on the road. Lane assist guides also tell you which lane to go to, if you have to make a turn, so you can avoid cutting others off last minute.
Turn by turn directions, voice-activated systems, traditional travel points, Preloaded City navigator for N. America (and Europe with many models), and free updates for life, are all great features bikers will love, with their Nuvi series GPS system.
With a 20 channel receiver system, you will get a satellite connection in no time when you are on the road. Both text and voice activated directions are offered to bikers, hundreds of preloaded maps are in place, and the hands-free Bluetooth connectivity, allow you to make calls anywhere, hands-free, if you are on the road. Turn by turn directions, automatic route recalculation, and huge points of interest database, are some great features you will love when you are on the road.
A large touch screen features anti-glare and waterproof capacities so that you can use it in any weather conditions. And, with approximately 3 hours of battery life, you can travel for longer time periods when you are on the road. A built in visor is also available on these GPS systems, making the touch screen easy to read, no matter what conditions you are in. One touch is all it takes for you to input your desired destination, and receive directions when you are in a hurry; if you run into traffic, you can simply hit the find an alternate route button, and you will be rerouted in seconds, to avoid heavy traffic and delays.
With several great features, this is another great contender when you are looking for the top rated motorcycle GPS systems, taking on the long bike trips, or just a drive around town during the long weekend.
A final option to consider is the new BMW Navigator V. BMW has extensive knowledge of car navigations, and therefore the successor of the Navigator IV is improved in several ways.
- A dual battery system that allows you to use conventional double “A�? batteries as well. Very few GPS systems have this unique feature, and the Navigator Adventure can fully operate from 16 to 22 hours.
- A fully customizable user interface that lets you choose the functions that you only need while driving as to exclude any other less important functions that you may find inappropriate. There are two factory presets that are built into the Navigator Adventure GPS which is car and motorcycle mode.
- Fully weather proof since BMW has specifically indicated the designs on their GPS systems to be able to stand up to any weather condition, which includes rain and snow. A rubberized silicon lining that goes all around the units casing, hermetically sealing it to protect it from dust and moisture.
- Self-adjusting LCD that automatically blends with any lighting condition, giving users an optimized viewing resolution that improves the images displayed on its 4.3-inch touchscreen.
- Expandable MicroSD card slot, which lets you load additional maps.
- 3-axis compass, which improves the accuracy of the positioning and directions.
Can directly access updated maps from the Internet through OTA (Over The Air) without the use of a computer in real time. Updated versions of current map data can be accessed anytime to notify you about any traffic re-routing notifications that can help you avoid delays along your route.
The Garmin Montana 600 is an all-weather GPS system that was specially designed to give a pin point accuracy of your location in real time. Its one of the few GPS systems that use the WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) technology that gives you precise information about your present location of up to an area of up to 3 meters with 95% accuracy. WAAS was first used for the airline industry to improve tracking through the course of its flight by using two methods which are satellite and ground stations. The Garmin Montana 600 is also weather proof as its casing is lined with a silicone rubber gasket that protects it from humidity, making sure that no amount of moisture will be able to compromise its functionality. Other features of the Garmin Montana 600 include a built-in 3 axis compass and a barometric altimeter that provides accurate information of your current altitude position. One prominently interesting feature of this GPS is its 4-inch glare-free touchscreen color display which can render clear images even in bright environments. Its touchscreen user interface can be used even if you are wearing gloves as the case may be with those riding a motorcycle, along with its easy to use control panel that quickly responds to every input accordingly.
- Uses a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery pack that has an operational capacity of up to 16 hours along with being able to use three ordinary double “A�? batteries in case that you might find yourself in a compromising situation.
- Three axis compass and the barometric indicator that gives you your accurate position, altitude, and air pressure regardless of how you hold it.
- Side by side map display giving you a simultaneous view of your route in the street and topographic view.
- Makes use of the latest WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) to give you pin-point accuracy of your current location within a 3.5-meter range.
- Uses BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, BlueChart g2 and TOPO U.S. 24K which can make you an option to view two types of maps which can be rendered side by side simultaneously giving you some of the best advantages while navigating.
- A 4-inch glare-free touchscreen display that continuously renders a clear image regardless of any lighting condition.
- Water-resistant up to 1 meter in depth for 30 minutes.
- Built-in 3 gigabyte internal memory that can store valuable information such as maps and route data.
With new series and new models coming out on a regular basis, it is tough to keep up on the top rated motorcycle GPS models, but these are among the top series options for bikers to turn to today.